We finally got to brew our own beer. Thanks to Chris’s expert brew mastery that he taught me soo much and opened up the new world of beer!! So here it is. The Real home made beer after month and a half.
We targeted for very hoppy, bit citrusy beer. If you have had Hop Notch IPA, you know what we are talking about. We found out that Amarillo hops tends to give out bit citrusy taste/scent. Simple ’nuff, right?
- Best to get 8 Gal kettle
- possibly 2 5-gal buckets with lids
- 50 bottles with caps!
- and other things…. i donno, figure it out McGyver!
- Wheat Liquid Malt Extract 6.6 lbs
- Amarillo Whole Leaf Hops 2.0 oz
- Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Beer Yeast 1 pack (11.5g)
- Dextrose Priming Sugar 5.0 oz
- bring 5 gal of water to 200 *F
- add all 6.6 lbs of LME and bring to the temperature to 213 *F
- Add 1 oz of Amarillo Hops to the boil for 40 minutes
- Add another 1 oz of Amarillo Hops for additional 20 minutes (leave the first hops in)
- Total boil time is 60 minutes
- Chill the wort to 65 *F
- Transfer to a fermenting bucket with AirLock for 1 month.
- Melt the 5 oz of priming sugar in warm water fully
- Pour the melted sugar into empty bucket
- Transfer the wort from fermenting bucket. try to filter out any gunk,
- Stir well so that priming sugar is mixed well.
- Use syphon to out the goods into the each bottle.
- Let it be for a week at least
Unfortunately, I do not have a measuring stick to get the alcohol level of my beer. But I sure feel it 😀 I expected the beer to be bit lighter in color, but I guess wheat LME is just the color we get. Perhaps, I’ll try with Pilsner LME instead?
what a blast!
I’ll post more when I make some more of different blends!